I realize that having a blog and posting once a month probably does not make me the most exciting person to check up on...I have good intentions of remedying that problem but in all honesty it probably will not likely happen for another couple of weeks or so after we are all back on the dreaded school routine.
For now I wanted to get a few memories down of our annual family camping trip. We always go camping with my parents at least once a summer and have done so for the past couple of years now. My kids LOVE it and so do I....unless it is cold and wet, my two least favorite things ever when camping. It was a crazy couple of weeks leading up to this trip and honestly there were members of our family (Karl) that did not really want to camp and members of our family (me) that were not as organized as they should have been in getting ready BUT I was determined that we were still going to make it happen!
We scheduled this particular camping trip for a weekend after we had been experiencing 100 degree weather here ensuring that we would DEFINITELY have awesome weather at the beach for camping.....BIG mistake, HUGE. We left home and the 105 degree weather and started winding through the mountain range where the temperature quickly dropped to 95....and then 83....and then 75. No big deal right? WRONG. We arrived at our camping destination of Rockaway Beach and it was a balmy 62 degrees as we parked our car. Awesome. Lucky for us mom had dinner ready for us when we got there and had also invited their new camping neighbors (Hi Dale and Laverne) to join us. It was the beginning of a lifelong friendship between our two families, I just know it.
After assessing the situation we quickly made a few changes in the sleeping arrangements (aka: I was definitely going to be sleeping in mom and dad's tent trailer with the heater and NOT in a tent) we settled in and had an amazing time. So sorry if this is boring but there are some things I just dont want to forget:
1. Memories made camping are some of the best ever. hands down.
2. Three out of the six of us got burned by various items (smores stick, lantern, heater) Next time bring burn cream.
3. My dog is awesome.
4. S'mores are AWESOME!
5. Spoons is the best camping game of all time. If you dont know what I am talking about you are missing out and you better google how to play spoons and do it as soon as you can. please.
6. I got yelled at by an old lady in the bathroom who called me a "teenager who had no respect for what a bathroom was for"....(I was brushing my teeth) When I laughed and shook my head she yelled at me again asking what I was laughing at...she didnt think it was so funny when I told her I was the mother of a teenager, NOT an actual teenager :)
7. The next day I also was asked by an almost naked Asian man who spoke no English to come into his shower as he couldnt get it to work. I didnt go to the bathroom area alone again after that.
8. Karl loves my dog too. He carried her up a huge rock wall after it started raining on us down at the beach and she couldnt crawl up the rocks when they were wet. I love him for that!
9. Sitting around a campfire with nothing else to distract you is good for you.
10. We missed you Alex. :( Alot.
Next year's trip is already in the planning stages. Mainly somewhere warm, grassy, and hopefully with our new friends :)